From the very beginning, Brunswick, Georgia was planned as an example of the way human beings were supposed to live—in harmony with nature, with an abundance of green space for all to enjoy.
The Council of the Royal Colony of Georgia laid out the city of Brunswick in 1771. The concept for the city utilized the Oglethorpe Plan, named after the colony’s founder, General James Edward Oglethorpe.
The Council’s intention was to create an orderly city, filled with common green space. The design featured a grid-like plan with 14 large and small squares spaced evenly among residential and commercial land lots. These park-like areas were to be deeded to the people of the city in perpetuity, reserved for the common good and enjoyment. They were never to be sold or developed.
But a number are still in use as community gathering spots or parks. Many are waiting for the day when their true potential can be realized.
Signature Squares of Brunswick, a non-profit preservation organization, was founded in 2005 to reclaim and beautify the original colonial parks and squares in the Old Town district of the city. Please join us, learn more about our city–and make history with us!