HANOVER SQUARE

A broken fountain that was missing the top two thirds of its structure, dangerously damaged brick walkways and a garden devoid of plants were replaced in this large-scale restoration project. A reproduction cast-metal fountain in a traditional tall-crane design was placed in a completely new basin, and new domed brick walks followed the original footprint of the city’s largest colonial-era park. The original 1884 iron fencing was located elsewhere in the city, retrieved and re-coated before returning it to its Hanover Square home. Overgrown vegetation around the memorial to Confederate soldiers was removed, and a local Eagle Scout re-landscaped the area. An extensive search for historically accurate antique roses paid off when the rose garden around the Hanover Square fountain was replanted. Now, hardy colorful roses are in bloom year-round in the center of the square.

Signature Squares gratefully acknowledges the support of the City of Brunswick; Friends of Coastal Georgia History; Jekyll Island Authority; The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and Garden Clubs of Glynn County for financial and in-kind contributions; Jerry Spencer, ASLA, Landscape Architect; and Mia Knight Nichols for research support in preserving the history of Hanover Square.

Photos courtesy of Jerry Spencer, Leslie Faulkenberry and Patrick Saylor.