Sir James Wright, Georgia’s last colonial governor, is the namesake of Wright Square. Wright served as the Attorney General of his birthplace, South Carolina, for 21 years before his appointment to the colony of Georgia. He became Governor on October 13, 1760, and served in that capacity until the end of the Revolution. Many residents of Brunswick were staunchly loyal to the Crown, and Wright was considered a fair and able administrator.

Wright Square was one of the larger squares in Brunswick, equal in original size to Hanover Square. However, it is bisected by George Street, and its fate followed along that line of division. The northern half of Wright Square was given to the county by the City of Brunswick to build a new middle school in the early 1950s.

The area’s postwar growth and opportunity was matched by a growing need for more modern schools. Junior high schools, known now as middle schools, were becoming more widely used. Glynn County took advantage of the proximity of the property in Wright Square to the long-established Glynn Academy High School. The building was completed in May 1954. Principal Joe Andrews welcomed the first students for the school’s inaugural year in the fall of that year.

The school educated thousands of children in the important transitional period between elementary and high school in Glynn County for 55 years. In 2009, the new Glynn Middle School opened on Lanier Boulevard near the south end of town. City-owned land for the new school was traded to the county for the Wright Square property, allowing the city to regain ownership of the entire historic sector. Upon completion of the demolition and removal of the former school structure, the two sides of Wright Square will once again be community greenspace. Plans for renovations are among the future projects for Signature Squares of Brunswick.